https://www.facebook.com/redthreadshed/


Thursday 10 March 2011

quilting the quilt.

Here is where I'm upto on the patchwork. I am slowly going around the squares but now I use 2 thimbles (one on each hand) as I couldn't stand the stabbing any more! Thanks to Tamster on MSE for letting me know that there is special quilting thread, otherwise I would have tried to persevere with ordinary cotton which would have led to a lot of frustration with knots/tangles and snapping.

                                                                   
                                                                   close up
I have only done a few squares and it's amazing how it begins to turn a large swath of material into the beginings of an actual quilt! (Its a pity that I couldn't get a close enough photo to show it better). I will be doing the banded strips as well and then the binding which I don't have as yet. Looking forward to it being on my bed......sometime!

Somebody asked where I got my idea for the 'Quirky Village Regatta' painting/embroidery. It was the little houses embroidered on  the above quilt set off the old grey cells to take them a step further and play around with fabrics and I had made some boat cards so combined the two elements. Got loads of ideas for more 'Quirky Village' series! I am excited as I have just got a commission to do a picture for someone using this technique. Hopefully I will do justice to it!

5 comments:

  1. Your quilt is going to be amazing :)
    I love how you have ebroidered the little houses :)
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful.. Very lovely!!
    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your red quilt. Red is my favorite color right at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the patience of a Saint and this quilt is going to look wonderful when completed. Love the material you have chosen.
    Hugs,
    Nicola -x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful quilt! Your choice or colour and pattern is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete